So, following on from last year’s writing resolutions, I’m going to do five for this year.
1. Green Sky Series – keep writing! I want to finish Series 1, so finish book 5,6, and 7, and plot/write 8, 9 and 10. Then start the next series? Or at least have an outline in my head of the plot for that, and the first few books…
2. Madcap Library / Duster: keep at it! We’ve been asked to submit a children’s illustrated story to a publisher, so I want to follow this through, however far it goes.
3. Get more involved in the writing community. I’m currently a member of the Swindon Free Writers, and I want to do a lot more with the website and forums (particularly as I’m now living a little distance away, and might not be able to make all the meetings). I’m pretty happy with the amount I’m putting into this blog, so one or two posts a month is likely what I’ll stick to, but I do want to do more with my @writingandcoe account – there’s a lot of awesome people and news on Twitter, and I find I miss a lot of it, so I want to be more savvy about who I follow – and also try to get my phone to like the app so that I can catch up when I’m out and about.
4. In addition to the above, keep encouraging, critiquing and editing. I’ve been reading and critiquing items for a number of people over the last six months, and encouraging various people – which mostly consists of “get on with it”! It’s nice to be able to read new writing (particularly in-progress writing – at one point I got a chunk of new story from Jamie every lunchtime, and as Jazz is one of my favourite characters, that was amazing!) and I love being able to read different things. Helping other people also inspires me to look more closely at my own writing and makes me a better critic and editor of my own work, so being able to encourage and critique work is something I want to keep doing. I’m also going to be editing blog posts in a completely different subject (engineering :-/ ) so that will provide a different view on writing.
5. And a stretch goal: challenge myself. The Dresden Files RPG is an ongoing writing challenge, but I have things I want to get better at with my everyday writing (plotting and styles mostly). I’m writing lyrics at the moment which is definitely a challenge, but I want to enter competitions, push myself to try different genres (horror and poetry?), and mostly just make myself WRITE without any reference to that little critical voice. I now consider myself a writer, dammit – so I’m going to spend this year making the most of that!
2015 is going to be busy, but amazing. I’m starting a new job, getting published, trying to fix my house (ongoing…maybe I should do a blog post on that so you can all see the sheer amount of chaos and work that’s going on!) and getting myself involved in a stackload of extra activities (hackspace, music and crafts to name three) in addition to the above. However, writing is my first love; I don’t think I’ll ever be able to stop doing it – even when the words won’t come out properly, they’re still in my head. I’ll always be a writer before I’m anything else, and I’ll keep posting here for you to see inside my head.
So: welcome to 2015! To all my readers; a belated Merry Christmas to everyone, a Happy New Year, and thank you for reading!