Aims for 2019…hmmm. Well, these were last year’s…
1. Read More
This is specifically personal reading! My TBR is ridiculous and keeps getting added to, and I want to make time for reading. I’m not going to set myself aims as they don’t really work, but I want to keep bearing it in mind when I have free time.
Ok, this is staying in! I need to get bloody on with writing…
- Finish Greensky Book 10.
- Rewrite No Man’s Land, and work on finishing No Man’s Dawn and the rest of the series
- Madcap Library?
- And write anything that catches my fancy! I need to remember that anything is good, and that writing something silly is still writing…
I’ve started making more things, and been really enjoying it! I’m slowly working my way back through my cookbook and adding new memories to older recipes; while it does still hurt to make pizza dough or smartie cookies or banana bread, I’m overlaying new memories.
But I do also have some specific aims:
- Japanese cooking; I want to learn how to make red bean buns and char sui; experiment more with soups and noodles, and learn more of the puddings and cakes.
- Winter food: I’ve been introducing Otter to the joys of pearl barley, stews, dumplings and risotto, and I’d forgotten how much fun it is to just look in the cupboard, go “ehhhh…that works” and throw things in! It’s definitely the season for it too. In the summer, this is my go-to for salads, so it should be able to continue all year.
- I am going to get these damn macarons working! I’m a bit of an, uh, experimental baker…in that various people have despaired over my quantity instructions (“about that much”), and nearly fainted in shock when they watch me bake something from memory (“eh, it’ll be fine”). But macarons have been defeating me every time, because they need to be precise. So – at some point, I’m going to clear the kitchen for an entire afternoon and focus. They will be perfect.
4. Work on friendships
I feel like I’ve neglected people a little over the past year; I’ve had so much going on…but then that’s a weasel too, as I’ve met so many new people and formed new friendships and moved house (twice) and settled into my job and ARGH! But, that said, I do want to make an effort with both old and new friendships. I need to make more of an effort to be sociable and actively do things, especially as I’m feeling ok at the moment and therefore have both energy and spoons to be able to socialise.
I want to go adventuring. I want to travel; Japan, Amsterdam, Norway, Vietnam, New Zealand, Ireland. I want to learn to bake more cakes, cook more meals. I want to read things that make me think, listen to music that someone else loves; discover new pathways, find new memories, see everything through different eyes. I want to dance and sing and bake. I want to explore and grow. And it’s going to be awesome.
So here’s to 2019!